Web design and writing websites’ content is only about 30 years old with the first website being in August of 1981. So much has happened since then. Not only in terms of technology but also marketing and a general impact on most of our lives. More importantly, the internet has created thousands of jobs that did not exist 10 or so years ago. There are not only academic degrees but career paths for SEO marketing, inbound marketing, freelance writing, blogging, social media, video, and of course web design and writing websites’ content.
In the Beginning there was. . .
The internet, for reliability reasons, was initially used by the military, scientists, educators, doctors and the government. The internet provided transfer of information within the group. Many of us can still remember when the internet required a computer, a modem and a telephone line.
- People used dial-up Internet access with speeds of 28.8Kbps to 33.6Kbps. Later, the 56Kbps modems came onto the scene.
- Screen resolution was a whopping 640px by 480px.
- There were only 100,000 websites on the Internet.
- HTML 2.0 was published and web standards were born.
- Table layouts were widely used and CSS browser support was sketchy.